Friday, November 20, 2009

Introducing the house: the hallway

OK, so I have been a little slack on the blogging front, but I have had some work done on the inside of the house as well as throwing a big lunch to celebrate turning 40, so there is quite a lot to report over the next couple of weeks.

Today I'll start with something simple, the hallway. Here it was in 2007 when I bought the house. This is the view looking towards the front door (it's the screen door that you can see). It does have some lovely features such as the dado rail and paneling. But tell me what could possibly have been running through the mind of the person who dreamed up the colour scheme when they decided to paint the ceiling forest green. Yes, forest green. Please also note the very dark burgundy trim.
Apologies to any of you who think that forest green and burgundy are a winning colour combination, but they make the hallway, and thus the first impression of the house, very dark. I really dislike walking into a dark house.

I don't have the budget at the moment to paint the whole hallway, but a couple of weeks ago I got Paul the painter to give the ceiling a couple of coats of white undercoat. Here it is, much better, no?
Here is the view looking from the front door back through the house towards the back door.

I still don't think it's light enough down the far end so will probably also have a skylight installed. Imagine it beautifully painted with white door frames, perhaps a soft gray underneath the dado rail, old chandeliers twinkling overhead and lined with photographs. Do you have any other ideas about what would look good? Please let me know.

No comments: