Tuesday, September 29, 2009

On rumination

The weather was wild on the weekend which provided a brilliant opportunity to lie on the couch in front of the fire to read and ruminate on all of the things that I should be doing. Such as clearing a whole bank of blackberry. (More on the role that blackberry now plays in my life in a later post).

While lying there I spared a thought for my friend Andrew who also owns a country house and whose weekend would apparently involve planting 800 agapanthus plants. Andrew is the type of person who orders 1200 lavender and 800 agapanthus plants then gets them all planted in a couple of weeks. He is also the type of person who will quite possibly be found several years later digging up 800 agapanthus for some reason that wasn't apparent when he hatched the planting plan. I am the type of person who plants 15 plants in her kitchen herb garden bed and considers this a laudable achievement. Given this, it is unsurprising that Andrew has made substantial progress in developing his garden and I have not.

I'm sticking to the argument that good doses of lying on the couch are a necessary part of creativity. When I was a freelance journalist one of my preferred forms of procrastination was researching the creative cycle (good stuff here if you are interested). Bathed in the warmth of the fire I reassured myself that my brain was getting necessary processing time, while simulaneously trying to subdue the tiny worry that 20 years will pass and I'll be gazing out at the knee-high trees I have only just got around to planting.

I distracted myself by making the arrangement above with some of the old weights I bought from the antique store last week. They are totally impractical but there is something quite beautiful about them. Outside in the rain the blackberry continued its march.

No comments: